Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Girl's Weekend in PDX

Untitled

A weekend or so ago, I packed up the girls and headed to Portland. We were finally cashing in our present to Scott last Christmas - a weekend at home alone. All Scott ever asks for is some time in his home alone and all the girls and I ever want is an adventure! This present was ideal as we all got what we wanted. 

Untitled

Thursday afternoon after school, the girls and I hit the road to Portland. I fully expected the trip to take approximately 4 hours with a break for food. Instead it took us 6.5 hours with a much needed break for dinner and the bathroom. Three of those long hours were spent just getting out of Seattle. It was pure traffic insanity. Luckily the girls were engrossed in their kindle fire tablets and were thrilled to watch hours and hours of Moana. 

Untitled

When we finally arrived in Portland, we were thrilled to arrive at the Kimpton RiverPlace where one of the best rooms we've ever stayed in was waiting for us. The girls were enamored to find a hotel cart and loved having the valet wheel them about. They were also over the moon for the bunkbeds in our suite even if they did end up sleeping with me. The  Kimpton RiverPlace offers free tents and "campfires" for kids and I made sure our room had those amenities upon check-in. 

Untitled


The next morning, we headed to Pine State Biscuit Co. for breakfast and then explored the Rose Gardens near Washington Park. The girls were so in love with our room they asked to go back to the room to rest after our morning explorations. 

UntitledUntitledUntitled


I was able to convince them to leave the room for ice cream. I had one of Salt and Straw's special Thanksgiving flavors - Sweet Potato Casserole which was AMAZING! The kids had strawberry and chocolate. Their usual flavors. 

Untitled


We also got the chance to meet up with Scott's cousin! The girls always love seeing him and I'm glad we were able to make it happen. 

Untitled

Untitled

Afterwards I found a playground for the girls and they ran around until I got cold and made them leave. We moved to a different hotel for the night and after a long exhaustive search for a kid friendly dinner, ended up eating in the hotel room. Maggie said that was the favorite part of the trip for her. Ha! 

Untitled

Untitled

The next morning we headed to Playdate PDX so the girls could run and run. They played for almost three hours and I was able to knit most of the time. It was a winning situation for all of us. We then hit up Blue Star Donuts and Ikea before heading home. It took us almost an hour to get out of the IKEA parking lot which made me question trying to save some sales tax. Luckily the rest of the drive home was easy-peasy. The girls were excited to head home to see their Dad and I was ready for a break! I do love that I've been able to take the girls on a solo trip at least once a year. It's a fun little tradition for us that I see growing as they grow. 

Untitled

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat