Thursday, July 26, 2012

Five a Day Game

Stone Fruits

I've been struggling to make sure to eat my five fruits and veggies a day. I get distracted by tasty, sweet carbs and forget that in order to have a healthy diet, I need my fruits and veggies.

5 a day game

One of my friends was telling me about a little competition that she has with her husband. They put post-it notes on the fridge. Each one represents a half cup for fruit or vegetable. As they eat them, they move them to the other side of the fridge.

Barrels of Apples

I asked Scott if he wanted to compete with me but he's not into competition so he declined. I decided to compete against myself! I put the post-its on my cabinets as they refused to stick to the fridge. Pink represents fruit and the green represent vegetables. I need 1 1/2 cups of fruit and 2 cups of vegetables a day (I doubt that you would get in trouble if you ate more than 2 cups of vegetables a day though). You can calculate how many cups of fruits and veggies you need at the CDC website.

5 a day detail

I started this new plan on Saturday and so far, it's been FUN! I can visually see what I need to eat. I do much better with the "YOU NEED TO EAT THIS!" rather than the depriving oneself method of "YOU CAN NOT EAT THIS!" I have also given myself some leeway. It doesn't matter how I get my veggies. In fact, I had deep fried avocado fries when I was out earlier this week and it totally counted.

This new game is also helping me eat ALL the fruits and vegetables I've been getting through my CSA box. I'm also feeling more alive and bouncier which is so good because I do not get enough sleep. I will take the bouncy feeling any way I can get it.

Walls Walla Sweets

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat