Friday, November 15, 2013

Lactation Cookies

cookie

As part of my freezer madness plan, I've decided to make a big batch of lactation cookie dough so I can enjoy these after Chicken Nugget comes. I loved these when I had Molly and while I'm not sure if they actually help milk production, I do know that they are DELICIOUS! These are so good that Scott used to sneak some when he thought I wasn't looking. This time around, I'm going to make enough to share. 


Brewersyeast

Most of this recipe can be adapted to your taste - Don't like nuts, then put in raisins. Don't want chocolate chips (NO!), sub in something else. However there are three things that make these cookies, lactation cookies and if you leave them out, you are missing out on the benefits of these delicious cookies. The first is Brewer's Yeast. I included a photo above to help you find it in your store. I usually buy it in the vitamin section at Whole Foods. It is different than nutritional yeast, you want Brewer's Yeast! The other two items are old-fashioned rolled oats and flax seed. All these to these ingredients help with lactation so don't leave them out!

Cookiedough

I originally found this recipe on a parenting forum and I've made some changes to it myself. I love, love, love these cookies and try to make them for all the new moms in my life. Enjoy! 

Cookies


Lactation Cookies
Makes about 2 dozen
  • 1.5 cups unsalted butter, softened 
  • 2 cups light brown sugar, packed 
  • 3 large eggs 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon 
  • 1 teaspoon salt (I like fine ground sea salt) 
  • 1/4 cup brewer’s yeast
  • 3 Tablespoons ground whole flax seed meal 
  • 1/4 cup water 
  • 4.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats 
  • 1 cup chocolate chips 
  • 1 cup peanut butter chips
  • 1 cup walnuts


  1. Preheat oven to 350F. 
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy and smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until smooth. 
  3. Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, brewer's yeast in a separate bowl. Add the dry mixture to the butter mixture and beat until combined. 
  4. Mix the flax seed meal and water in a small bowl and then add to your dough. 
  5. Fold in the oats, chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and walnuts. The dough will be harder to mix at this point so put some arm muscle into it. 
  6. Place your cookie dough in the fridge for at least an hour to firm up the dough. If you are freezing the dough, now is a good time to roll it into logs OR refrigerate for an hour and then roll into balls of cookie dough. Place the cookie dough on cookie sheets in the freezer for 2 hours until the balls are frozen, then place them in a freezer bag and back into the oven to enjoy later. 
  7. Once the dough is firm, bake the cookies on ungreased cookie sheets about 2" apart in your preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. 
  8. Cool for 5 minutes before eating. 
  9. Freezer Directions: Remove your frozen cookie balls from the freezer and place directly on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2" apart. Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes and cool for 5 minutes before eating. 
cooking mess
Now who is going to clean up my very messy kitchen while I eat cookies? Darn it! I can't eat them yet but soon, so soon!



NaBloPoMo November 2013

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat