Monday, October 26, 2015

July, August & September Book Report(s)

Untitled

After my last book report post in July, my reading stalled out a bit. I got stuck on a book which I'm still reading. I kept trying to slog through it but I've put it aside for now which brought back my reading mojo! Without further adieu, here is my July, August & September book report! 


Untitled


Dinner, A Love Story - I really enjoyed this book. Former Magazine Editor, Jenny Rosenstrach has been keeping a list of her dinners for years. She wove her menus into stories about her life and her job. I was hooked! And the best part, this book contains a ton of recipes which I've been cooking a lot of our meals from. 

Untitled


now i see you - This was another memoir. I got a bit into the memoirs this summer and I don't regret it a bit. Nicole Kear has a degenerative eye disease which is slowly causing her to go blind but she won't admit it, she won't talk about it and that is making life hard for her. She talks about how she learned that she had this eye problem and how she tried to deny it. Along the way she gets married and has a child. Soon she can't deny her eyesight issues and starts to learn how to survive in a sighted world without sight. I loved this book. Her story is told with some humor which made it even more engaging. 

Untitled


Winter's Journey - I got this book of poetry from the library. It was selected to fulfill my "Read a book on Poetry" bingo square. It was a quick read and quite good but reminded me that poetry really isn't where my reading interests lie. 



Bossypants - I've been meaning to read this for a long time and it was ok. I think Tina Fey is hilarious but she's not really a book writer. It was entertaining in parts, rambling in others and head tilting at times. Overall it was a good read but not something that I'd really recommend to others. 

Untitled

Yes, Please! This book came highly recommended by several friends and while I love Amy Poehler's Smart Girls, I did not love this book. In fact it made me cringe a few times from vulgarity which is not something I expected. I wanted to love this book but ehh. 

Untitled

The Dirty Life - Now that I have a backyard garden and chickens, I envision myself an urban farmer. But after reading this book, I am no where close to being a real farmer. Kristin Kimball took on an onerous task with her then boyfriend, now husband by taking on the running of a farm. I spent most of my time reading this book with awe in my eyes. This is a must-read in my eyes. It was a fantastically entertaining read. 

Untitled

Orchard House - Full Disclosure, I know Tara Austen Weaver and have even taken care of the chickens at Orchard House. I really enjoyed this book and it inspired me to take a look at both my garden and myself. Both have so much room to grow. I was enthralled with Tara's tales and stories. This is a must-read in my eyes as it was so wonderfully well written. 

You can see all of my previous book reports here

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat