Friday, April 01, 2011

Creamy Thai Shrimp Soup (aka the Great Soup Stock-Up)

Thai Shrimp Soups

I had this idea that I should make up a bunch of soup and freeze it for meals later on. I still think this is a brilliant idea except that I don't have a very big freezer. Once I made up one batch of soup and went grocery shopping, that freezer was packed. It doesn't help that I store my ice cream bowl in the freezer for emergency ice cream making sessions or that the ice tray takes up a good 1/4 of the freezer.

Shrimp Thai Soup

But I'm still glad that I made at least one batch of soup and froze it because it has been a great time-saver, especially on Wednesday nights when I go to Yoga and don't get to dinner until after 9 p.m. at night.

Thai Shrimp Soup for Freezing

Freezing soup is also a tricky thing. You can't freeze soups that have eggs in them or potatoes or a whole list of other ingredients. So when I stumbled upon a recipe for Thai Shrimp Bisque, I was hooked.




Thai Shrimp Soup

Thai Shrimp Bisque
Yield: 6 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)

Marinade Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp
1 1/2 tablespoons grated lime rind
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed

Shrimp stock Ingredients
2 cups water
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste

Soup Ingredients
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped celery
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
1 tablespoon grated lime rind
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Make the marinade: Peel shrimp and reserve shells. Combine shrimp and next 8 ingredients (shrimp though garlic) in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes.

2. Prepare the the shrimp stock: Combine the reserved shrimp shells, water, wine and 1 tablespoon tomato paste in a large Dutch oven. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup (about 10 minutes). Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, and discard solids.

3. Prepare the soup: Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Add 1 cup shrimp stock, coconut milk, and 1 tablespoon tomato paste, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Combine flour and reduced-fat milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add to pan; reduce heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 minutes). Add shrimp and marinade, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon lime rind, 1 tablespoon cilantro, and salt.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I am so not a cook and I am not supposed to intake my calories from soup, but I may have to make an exception here.

Rebecca Mongrain said...

If it helps this soup has about 220 calories per cup :)

Amanda said...

I made it yesterday and it was a hit with the husband. The receipe is now in the keep pile. Thank you!

As for the calorie thing, my doctor will just have to understand that there are busy nights where I don't have time to cook. AKA Suck it!

Jessica said...

You have that giant, roomy basement. Get yourself a spare freezer. When I was pregnant I completely filled ours with stews and roasts and whatever else I could think of. An absolute life-saver!

Rebecca Mongrain said...

Jessica - It's so on my list of things to get but I also have to convince Mr. Cheap Bastard that it is a valid expense. He's unsure right now.

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat