Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Delight of the Week - Anniversary Red Velvet Cake

Anniversary Cake Yum

Scott and I celebrated our 1-Year Anniversary on Sunday so I decided to recreate our wedding cake. We had two flavors for our official wedding cake, red velvet and cheesecake. Since I made a cheesecake a few weeks ago, I decided to focus on the red velvet cake.

Anniversary Cake

Luckily for me, Lorna Yee created a fantastically wonderful red velvet cake in her cookbook, The Newlywed Kitchen: Delicious Meals for Couples Cooking Together. I did decide to make a smaller version of the cake though to reduce the amount of cake leftovers in our house. I found some great small pans at Williams-Sonoma. They were meant for deep dish pizza but the sales guy and I decided they would work for cake. Luckily they worked great!

Anniversary Cake Chomp

The cake came out delicious and moist. My only problem was that my icing was a bit lumpy. But that was my fault. I tried to mix the cream cheese and butter together before they softened. Let that be a lesson to you. Soften thy butter!

In celebration of my one-year anniversary and such a delightful cake! I'm giving away one copy of The Newlywed Kitchen: Delicious Meals for Couples Cooking Together. I'll use a Random Number generator to pick a winner. All you need to do is leave a comment saying what your favorite wedding cake flavor is (married or not, we've all eaten wedding cake and we all have our favorites!).

5 comments:

Amy said...

That cake looks fabulous--way better than what they serve at the Blue Moon. My favorite wedding cake is...chocolate. Not very unique, but hey...I'm a chocoholic.

Rachel P said...

Lovely cake Rebecca! We had a vanilla and raspberry cake and a chocolate peanut butter cake for our wedding (each tier was different). The raspberry really is my fave...hope you enjoyed your anniversary!

JenM said...

Wow! Your Red Velvet cake looks so yummy!

We had coconut cake with pineapple filling and cream cheese frosting for our wedding. I had 5 slices that night - though I was only able to take about a bite out each one. Each time I would set my plate down for a photo op with friends or relatives, the serving crew would pick it up and take it away!!

I've been to several Chinese & Vietnamese weddings and I have to say that Pandan Cake has been my favorite. It's not something I would usually have and is unique to me.

Unknown said...

Strawberry filled white cake. Simple.

Carolyn said...

my favorite wedding cake is CHOCOLATE because that is my favorite of any kind of cake!!!! ;)

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat