Tuesday, May 29, 2018

San Diego Dreaming

Untitled

A few months ago, I took the girls to San Diego to visit a friend. We had literally returned 5 days before from our big trip to Sydney, Australia but with mid-winter break bearing down upon us, I knew we needed to get out of dodge again. Additionally, I had planned our San Diego trip before finding out about our opportunity to visit Australia. I packed up the girls and myself and we set off for San Diego and left Scott to hold down the home front.

Untitled

After an airport adventure where we literally ran through the airport for our flight and landed in our seats with sweat pouring down our faces, we were off! Well, almost. As I got everyone settled and buckled in, the first officer came on over the speaker and said our flight would be delayed due to an injury suffered by our pilot as he entered the plane. Our plane was actually quite awkward to board so I wasn't surprised that someone had gotten hurt but could not believe it was our pilot who was injured. Our gate had been transformed from one gate into three which meant we had to walk down a ramp out of the airport to a maze of stairs, through two tunnels and then back up these skinny stairs to our plane. All of this was incredibly awkward as I juggled luggage and two kids. I stupidly decided not to check our luggage on the way to San Diego but rectified that on the way home. I decided it wasn't worth saving $25 in order to strain my body, lugging luggage and kids through the airport. Also my friend, Meg told me not to be so cheap so I listened to her.



Untitled

San Diego's car rental services have vastly improved since I was there last which was wonderful. They now have a central reservation building which is accessed by shuttle bus. We took the shuttle bus over with each kid being in charge of a suitcase or bag. I had the huge carseat bag on my back and was thankful that Scott is usually the one carrying the carseat. After renting a car, we headed to my friend's place. The girls were both unhappy that I had gotten neither a mini-van or an orange car. I was pleased to have an easy to drive car that fit the three of us nicely with room for our luggage for a not too unreasonable price.



Untitled

Upon arrival, we all decided we were starving and headed to Liberty Station and enjoyed delicious poke at Poke 1*2*3. The staff was impressed with how much poke my kids packed away. After that we headed to the grocery store to stock up on snacks before heading to my friend's house. 




Ocean Child

We spent the next few days hitting the beach and hanging out with my friend. My kids adore her and her kids so we had a great time. My kids also spent an absurdly amount of time in her backyard soaking up the sunshine. Molly spent a lot of time reading to my friend's baby and "taking" care of her. It was so sweet to see her taking on a protector role. 

Untitled


I made time to take the kids to Old Town in San Diego even though my friend is completely over the area. The girls had a great time checking out the area and I loved the photo opportunities. 

Untitled

Untitled


We also visited Communal Coffee which was amazing and again, full of great photo opportunities. I love a great wall with text and pretty plants. 

Untitled


We spent an afternoon driving around and hitting up beaches. My favorite is up in La Jolla and the girls had the best time running around, chasing the birds. 

Untitled


The highlight of our trip was a visit to Legoland. We did it in one day and that felt just perfect. The girls had the best time riding rides and building with legos. They also liked that I let them each bring home a lego set. 

Untitled

Untitled


And then before we were quite ready, it was time to come home. I read an entire book on our ride home and the girls watched more shows on their kindles than I thought possible. Our annual girl's trip was fun and we are thinking of taking another trip to San Diego later this year. We all miss my friend! 

Untitled

After we came home, I wrote up a travel guide to San Diego for Seattle Refined - San Diego Travel Guide: The Do's and Don'ts

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat