Monday, June 15, 2009

Yellowstone Road Trip - Day 3, 4 & 5

The Open Road & YIP.149

So back to the tale of Scott and Rebecca in Yellowstone. On day 3 of our road trip, we finally arrived in Yellowstone. First though we stopped at the Lewis & Clark Caverns outside of Bozeman, MT.

Lewis and Clark Cavern

Except for the bats, the cavern was AMAZING! I loved the colors and took a ton of photos but only a few turned out. It was still a great experience and should Scott want to go again, I'd be willing to sit in the car and knit while he explored. Once was enough for me.

Moose

Once in Yellowstone, the animals came out of the woodwork for us. We saw three bears, a moose, mountain goats, antelopes and of course a ton of elk. Scott was awed and I was in love.

Helen's Buffalo Burger

We ate dinner at Helen's Corral Drive-in and I re-newed my love for the buffalo burger. Yum! I seriously survived on these when I worked in Yellowstone. The food in the park is so terrible, but ummm wait that story comes later in this entry.

Basin at Norris

Day 4 was spent exploring the Norris Geyser Basin, Mammoth Hot Springs, the Lake Yellowstone area and Yellowstone Canyon. All areas were breath-taking and amazing.

Yellow Canyon

We enjoyed lunch at Lake Yellowstone and spotted a Yellow-Bellied Marmot. I do love me some Marmot even though they are rodents and squirrel-like and I do not like the rodents nor the squirrels.

Claw Foot Tub

After a day of exploration, we decided to partake of dinner in the Mammoth Hot Springs Dining Room. I ordered the Idaho Trout Fish Tacos figuring it was a simple dish and local and fresh (maybe). So first the wrong order came out and I probably should have taken that dish but I didn't. Then my fish tacos came out and as I lifted the tacos to eat them, I was overwhelmed with a fish smell. Now I know Trout tends to be fishy BUT you should not smell FISH like it's been lining your bin for a few days. I had a few bites which was a mistake because let's just say my tummy was a bit off all night and well into the next day. Yes, I have to day it, I had the dreaded food poisoning.

Boiling

Day 5 we spent in the Old Faithful region of the park, checking out the geysers and hot springs. Unfortunately it was a colder day and the hot springs gave off a lot of steam, making for poor photos.

Old Faithful Blows

We also spent a long period of time checking out a very large Buffalo herd. I do love watching the Buffaloes.

Buffalo Herd

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat