Monday, February 15, 2016

Girl Scout Cookie Millionaire's Shortbread

GSMShortbread2

It's Girl Scout Cookie Contest season and once again I collaborated with my Best Dessert baking friend for ideas.  I messaged her in January and said it's that time again and told her which cookies I wanted to use and what some of my ideas were. She was brief and wrote back to say, I see Millionaire's Shortbread in your future with a link to the BBC Food site. I checked out her idea and immediately wanted to start baking even though it was 10 p.m. I had ideas churning in my head and knew exactly how I would make Girl Scout Cookie Millionaire's Shortbread. 

GoldenSyrup

One ingredient that stumped me for awhile was Golden Syrup. It's this delightful and simple British syrup that is used in so many of their baking recipes. The US does not have a good equivalent and I really didn't want to sub it out when it is such a great ingredient. I found Todd's Kitchen's YouTub channel where he describes how to make Golden Syrup and decided to make my own. He claims that it is simple to make and he is right. You do need to watch the syrup when it gets to the boiling point or else your smoke alarm will go off and you'll wake up your husband. Oops! At least the kids found the smoke alarm to be hilarious. My husband, not so much. 

ChocolateTopping

This year the Girl Scouts are hosting TWO contests and because I am a joiner, I'm doing both. Today's entry is all about the Girl Scout Cookies but I'm also super excited about the Dog cookie contest which I will post about later this week. But for today, let's get down to business on this Girl Scout Cookie Millionaire's Shortbread. 

Chocolate CookieLayer

I started by using the food processor to crush a box of do-si-dos cookies and then pressed them into a square baking pan lined with parchment paper. I baked the first layer for about 15 minutes while making the caramel layer. This is where I used the Golden Syrup. After baking and cooling the crushed cookie layer, I spread the caramel on top and let that cool. Next I melted some roughly chopped tagalongs into dark and milk chocolate and spread that on top of the caramel before placing the whole pan in the fridge to cool. This is serious sweet flavor and so good. My kids were clamoring for seconds and thirds but I had to put a stop to that potential sugar high. They already have enough energy. 


Looking to score your own Girl Scout Cookies? You can find the Girl Scout Cookie Locator here.

Girl Scout Cookie Millionaire's Shortbread
by Rebecca Mongrain
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (18 squares)
    For the cookie layer
    • 1 box do-si-dos cookies, crushed in the food processor
    For the topping
    • 5oz butter
    • 1 can condensed milk
    • 3½oz golden syrup
    • 12oz mixture of dark and milk chocolate, chopped into small pieces
    • 8 tagalongs cookies, roughly chopped
    Instructions
    Preheat the oven to 300F.
    Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper
    Crush the do-si-dos in a food processor until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
    Press the cookie crumbs into the baking pan, evenly.
    Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
    Make the caramel topping next.
    Place the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup in a saucepan. Stir occasionally until the butter is melted.
    Bring the mixture to a boil by increasing the temperature, stirring frequently. The caramel will thicken and turn golden. Set aside to slightly cool before spreading over the cooled shortbread. Allow the two layers to cool completely.
    Using a double boiler, melt the chocolate and crushed cookies. Once melted, pour over the caramel and place inside the fridge to cool completely.
    Cut into squares to enjoy.
    Powered by Recipage

    No comments:

     
    Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

    Design by The Blog Boat