Friday, September 22, 2006
Returned to the Creator

At 6 a.m. on September 21, 2006, my Grandfather, Richard Orrin Dimick, Jr. returned to the Creator. He was born on December 21, 1925 in Toledo, Oregon and served his country during World War II in the US Air Force. After leaving the Air Force, he attended various colleges before settling in Hollywood, California where he met and eventually married my Grandmother, Joan.

They had two girls, one of them my Mother before moving to Salt Lake City, UT in 1965. Grandpa had a deep interest in philosophy and spent many years of study and research in pursuit of the "truth." He loved and respected all people, believing that every individual is important in their own right and that under the proper circumstances could become a saint. He lived his life with honesty.

Before my Grandmother's death four years ago, my Grandfather and Grandmother traveled to many lands far and near. They went to China, India, England, Russia and South America. They kissed the Blarney Stone in Ireland and watched the penguins in Chile. They sent me many postcards from places all over the world.

After my Grandfather moved here a few years ago, I was able to spend more time with him. We would often go to lunch and since he was quite possibly the slowest eater I've ever met, I'd often end up knitting while he finished his omelet.

The last few months provided more adventure and I'm glad that he was so well taken care of by Gabriel and Elena. Their generosity and love helped make his last few months as wonderful as possible.

His passing was peaceful while in Hospice care. My Mother said she dreamed about him walking over the hillside hand in hand with my Grandmother. I can only hope that my Grandmother was there to greet him on the other side and lead him back to the Creator (his word for God).

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat