Friday, May 09, 2014

Garden Update

Untitled

My arms are quivering spaghetti noodles. On Monday, I had two cubic yards of dirt delivered along with two cubic yards of landscape mulch. It didn't sound like much on the phone but two cubic yards of dirt is a crap-ton of dirt! I've been hauling wheelbarrows full of dirt since then. Molly has been helping but it is slow going since I really only get a chance to work on my dirt piles when Maggie is napping. Luckily she naps often.

Untitled

Molly has been helping me with this project but let's be honest, she really just likes to climb the dirt mounds and sing, TA-DA! 

Untitled

On Monday, my four garden boxes were empty but perfectly located to catch all the Seattle sunshine. Then I cheated. I should have dug out the grass and then layered in the dirt. I decided to be brazen. I lined the boxes with weed protector and then shoveled dirt in. I feel pretty good about my lazy decision. Ask me how I feel about this decision in July. 

Untitled

The boxes are now filled to the brim with dirt, good dirt. I ordered some of the best dirt I could find since good dirt is a great start to good vegetables. I've also put landscape mulch over most of the plant beds around the yard. I had so much weeding to do in between spreading the much. This has been a week of yard work!

Untitled

This weekend, Molly and I are going on a date to the nursery. We're going to pick out tons of plants and then come home and plant them. I hope Molly understands that these are for growing and not playing. This should be an interesting adventure.

Any suggestions on what to plant? I have lettuces, zucchini, tomatoes, peas and carrots on the list but I'd love more suggestions! Oh and I'm going to steal some strawberries from my parent's house. To be honest, they are my strawberry plants from when I had a garden their house. 

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat