Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Let's Plant a Garden, a Garden!

berries

Untitled

When we last saw the garden, I was busy hauling 2 cubic yards of dirt to fill up the garden boxes and some of the open beds around the yard. I also had 2 cubic yards of landscape mulch delivered to fill in the plant beds throughout the yard. 4 cubic yards of material is A LOT of dirt! It took me nearly two weeks to get the dirt from my front yard to the back yard and then distributed to the appropriate places. It turns out trying to haul dirt while taking care of two littles takes a bit of magic even with one of the littles helping out.

Untitled

Molly LOVED helping me fill the garden boxes with dirt and got even more excited when we made a trip to the garden store to stock our veggie garden.

Untitled

We bought a ton of plants and seeds. I may have had a bit of a heart attack when the cashier rang up my cart. Molly and I selected a bunch of lettuce plants, four tomato plants, some beets, squash, broccoli, cauliflower, swiss chard, kale, onions, basil, cilantro and some marigolds for pest control.

Untitled

I spent most of Mother's Day weekend in the yard, planting my new veggies. Every morning since, Molly and I have gone out during Maggie's morning nap to water the garden. Molly loves helping out and I like to encourage that attitude.

Untitled

I also planted two blueberry bushes and had my Dad bring me the two pots of strawberry plants I had at their house. The strawberry plants are already starting to grow some berries! I hope we get to them before the birds and raccoons.

lettuce

Now that the garden is planted, I'm moving onto other parts of the yard. I weeded and re-mulched most of the plant beds already. The patio needs to be power washed and then I can bring out our deck furniture. I have a few more seeds to plant and some pots to fill with flowers. We also need to take care of the three fence posts that are left from ripping down a weird half fence that was left by the previous owners. I'm excited for our backyard this year though. I think it is going to be a fun place for Molly and her friends.

Untitled

beds

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat