Thursday, October 27, 2016

Stuffed Acorn Squash

Untitled

This past weekend, I picked up a 40 lb box of winter squash. I started dreaming of all the dishes I could make with the squash. I have squash bread, squash soup and squash muffins on the list but I knew I wanted to start with my favorite way to serve squash, Stuffed Squash. I am a true squash lover even if the rest of my family is not.

squash2


Last night I decided to make something to convince them that squash is the best food. I took two acorn squash and stuffed them with sausage, onions, apples, mushrooms and dried tart cherries. The filling reminded me of a good stuffing without the bread which means this is a great dish for those who are gluten-free or doing a Whole30 (leave out the cheese if you are Whole30ing). 

squash1


I wish I could report back that the family gobbled up the squash and said I had convinced them but their distain for squash runs deep. They did however love the stuffing and asked for more. The chickens loved the left-over squash and I loved the entire package. If you have a deep love for squash, this is the dish for you! 

squash



Stuffed Acorn Squash

by Rebecca Mongrain
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients (4 servings)
  • 2 large acorn squash
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 large apple, diced
  • 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 14 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage
  • 4 oz chopped fresh shiitake mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
  • 6 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray the cut sides of the squash with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place face down on a large baking sheet. Bake until tender and browned on the edges, about 40 minutes.
In a large saute pan, heat olive oil before adding onion and cooking over medium heat until brown, about 10-15 minutes. Remove onion and place aside.
Place sausage in saute pan and brown before adding cooked onion, apple, mushrooms and dried cherries and cooking over medium low heat for about 10 minutes.
Once the squash is cooked, fill them with the sausage mixture. Make cure to pack the filling in tight. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 10 additional minutes until the cheese is melted and the squash are golden.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat