Friday, February 22, 2013

Eggy Frittata Muffins

Breakfasts need to be quick around my house. Molly wakes up hungry and for a house that does not move quickly in the morning, there is an urgency in the air. I try to combat this by prepping the coffee machine the night before, making sure the cat food bowls are clean and ready to be filled and having make-ahead breakfasts at the ready.

EggMuffins

When I first started eating low carb, I would make eggs and bacon every morning but that got tiresome and messy. I felt like I was always cooking eggs and scrubbing pots. When I found Nom Nom Paleo's Mini Frittata Muffins, I was inspired to make my own version.

Egg Muffins in Pan

These have been perfect for my rushed mornings. I make a big batch, freeze half of them and warm each one up in the microwave when I'm ready to eat them. One is usually enough to fill me up but sometimes when I'm extra hungry, I eat two of them. I've also made these for Molly in the mini muffin tin and she thinks they are delicious! I usually cut the veggies and meat into smaller pieces when I make them for Molly. The great thing about this recipe is how easily adaptable it is for your tastes. Don't like meat, take it out! Prefer asparagus to sun dried tomatoes, sub them in! Want to skip the dairy? Sub coconut milk for the yogurt and leave out the cheese. They will still be delicious!

Egg Muffins on Plate

Eggy Frittata Muffins
(adapted from Nom Nom Paleo's Mini Frittata Muffins)
Makes 12 muffins 

Ingredients
4 Tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil) + extra for greasing the pan
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 lb of cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 lb of frozen spinach
10 eggs
1/4 cup whole fat plain Greek yogurt
2 Tablespoons coconut flour
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
4 oz smoked cheddar cheese
1 lb cooked chicken sausage links, sliced

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a regular 12 cup muffin tin with coconut oil.

2. Saute the onion with the coconut oil until it is soft and translucent.
3. Add the garlic, mushrooms and spinach and saute until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with the yogurt and coconut flour before adding the sun dried tomatoes, cheese and sausage.
5. Add the spinach mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
6. Add about a 1/4 of a cup of the mixture to muffin tin and top with sun dried tomatoes.
7. Place the muffin tin in the oven for 20 minutes. Flip the tray about halfway through.
8. Cool in the pan before transferring to freezer bags. I usually freeze half the muffins so one batch will last me about two weeks.

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat