Friday, February 15, 2013

Green Smoothies!

IMG_2464

Friends have told me about the deliciousness and wonder of the Green Smoothie for YEARS but let's be honest, it DOES NOT SOUND YUMMY! Blogs rave about this green drink. Nutritionalists say drink your green smoothie, it will be good for you. I decided to bite the bullet this last week and try the darn things. 

IMG_2571

I found an awesome recipe on Iowa Girl and decided to start from there. I went grocery shopping and gathered all the necessary ingredients. The recipe notes that you should use a frozen sliced banana so I sliced up some bananas and froze them overnight. That was about all the prep work that was needed for this smoothie. 

IMG_2449

The first time I made it, I followed her instructions very closely. I did add some extra peanut butter but that was because my jar had about 1 1/2 Tablespoons left and it seemed silly to throw it away. The second time I made this, I added blueberries because I bought a huge bag at Costco and we really need to use them up so that I have some more space in the freezer which means, BLUEBERRIES ON EVERYTHING! 

IMG_2466

This is an amazingly delicious smoothie. Even Scott and Molly enjoyed the green smoothie. Molly was sick last week with a chest cold and therefore was not interested in eating. I decided to see if she would drink a green smoothie and she gulped it down. I was happy to get some good healthy food in her tummy since living on air and angst makes one very grumpy. This recipe makes enough for about 1.5 people which is perfect for Molly and me. 

IMG_2460

Green Smoothie
makes 1 very large serving or 1.5 servings

Ingredients
1 medium frozen, sliced banana
2 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze milk (or your milk of choice)
1 cup frozen blueberries
4 cups baby spinach

Directions

Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until you have reached the desired consistency. 

Note: Experiment with adding different fruits and nut butters. I'm thinking of trying to make this a bit more Paleo friendly by using almond butter and coconut milk yogurt. 

3 comments:

Nazila Merati said...

I just inherited Becky Selengut's old blender. Cannot wait to torture TH will spinach smoothies. Also encouraged to see you don't use a 500 buck vitamix to make a smoothie.

Rebecca Mongrain said...

@Nazila - Scott even likes the green smoothies! You can make them less green with more blueberries! And yea, no vitamix over here, we use our trusty Black and Decker blender. It blends up nicely!

amanda said...

Don't forget about seeds! I put chia seeds in my smoothies, but you can also do flax seed. My favorite green smoothie these days is 1 cup apple juice, frozen raspberries and/or frozen strawberries, baby spinach and a scoop of chia seeds. YUM!

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat