Wednesday, July 28, 2004
Sights seen while running
 
This morning, per our usual routine, Julie and I met at 6 a.m. for a jog around Greenlake. It was fantastic and quite unusual for the following reasons:

1) I had my fastest time around ever! 2.9 miles in 34:16 minutes.
2) It was a beautiful, and not too hot morning.
3) About 3/4 of the way around the lake, we saw a man with a rather interesting creature (resembling a rabbit with a rat face and a cat tail) on his shoulder. After staring at each other in a confused fashion, I announced that what we had just seen was blog-worthy and that I would be googling when I got home. Unfortunately I had little go upon. While I could describe in person what I had seen, I wasn't sure if Google would understand me. I started by typing "Rodent-like Mammals" and came up with lots of stories about bones and fossils. OK so no go on that...I revised it to "Rat-like animals" and found this picture! 

 

This is what we saw! It is a Chinchilla from South America and commonly (not sure how common!) kept as pets in North America.

So while you people in California have Venice Beach, I have Greenlake and boy are there sights to be seen there!

Here is an artist rendering of a Chinchilla to give you better idea of the tail.



Also last night I went and saw the Mutual Admiration Society at The Moore. Made up of members from Nickle Creek and Toad, The Wet Sproket, they were amazing! What a great show!

Happy Day!
 




No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat