Sunday, March 19, 2006
The "ok it's done so the baby can come at any moment" Blanket



Seven months ago, my college roommate called me to tell me she was pregnant and that she expected a knitted baby blanket from me. I launched into action and began researching baby blanket designs. I knew it had to be washable and brightly colored. I also didn't want to spend a million dollars on the yarn. After searching the internets, I found this beautifully colored pattern which called for yarn from Knitpicks (though I used Shine Cotton instead of Wool). Armed with my order of yarn, I began knitting and I figured out how many stripes I needed to do each day to finish the blanket in time for the baby.

I knit and I knit and I knit some more. Then I bound off and I began weaving in the million ends (which I must say that designer did say to weave in as one went but I ignored that wise advice).



Once all the ends were woven in, I began sewing the backing and the blanket edge onto the blanket. My sewing skills are a bit poor so this part didn't turn out 100% like I wanted but it is still cute. The original pattern calls for French Knots and Running Stitches to be added but I've decided to leave them off for now. I will ask the Mom if she wants them added and if she does, I'll gladly add them. For now though, Baby Gabby, you can come out NOW!



Project Details:

Pattern: Wild Stripes
Yarn: Shine from Knit Picks
Gauge: 21 sts/28 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Things I would change: I'd give myself more time on the finishing so that it is done right and beautifully.

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat