Tuesday, April 02, 2013

On Training for a Half Marathon


My race is only 32 days away and I'm getting both excited and nervous. I feel like I've recently come over the top of the peak in my training and am now on the downward slope toward victory. I won't be getting a PR on this race and I don't care. I won't even really be racing. I'm going to go out there and concentrate on my 5's (I run for 5 minutes and then walk for 1 minute) until I've covered 13.1 miles. Then I am going to drink a very large beer and eat a very large meal followed by a very long nap.


This morning, I went to Greenlake for my usual run. We were told to do 5 miles of tempo and due to many things, I only did 4. But they were the best 4 miles I've run in a very long time. This is coming off my exceptionally awesome long run on Sunday. I'm feeling so good about running right now. 


A month ago, I was HATING running and do a lot more walking. I had lost my focus and wasn't doing my 5's. I was doing a lot of whining. And you know what, it is what ALWAYS happens to me at the mid-point of training. I start hating it but if I push through and I keep on it, I always come out on the other side in a much better place. 


I also suspect that Whole30 is contributing to my current running performance. I'm not dragging myself down with unhealthy foods (even though I really, really, really want them!) and feeling my success is helping me keep to the straight and narrow. 

Any tips for my upcoming race? Scott and Molly will be there cheering me on. I can't wait for Molly to see me complete the race. She's been training with me all along and deserves a lot of credit for getting me out there. I think she likes the wind in her face and seeing all the fun places we go in the stroller. 


1 comment:

Rach said...

OK, I SWEAR I wrote a comment on this the other day. I was totally at Green Lake on Sunday morning, too! I was thinking it would be funny if I ran into you.

It sounds like your training is going well! What race are you doing? I think you have the right mindset, too - when the race comes, don't worry about pace and timing, just enjoy yourself and power through!

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat