Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Striding Toward Fitness

My 1/2 Marathon is coming up in less than a month and I've already started thinking about what I'll do for exercise after the race. I've been doing some research and looking at some group classes. I heard about Stroller Strides/Fit 4 Mom about a year ago but I've never attended any of their sessions.


 Today was their 1 year anniversary in Seattle so I decided to attend the free session. I LOVED it! Molly LOVED it and my booty hurts. The time is perfect and the fact that you are supposed to bring your child in a stroller excites me. We did interval training with runs in between lunges, squats, tricep pulls and other sorts of exercises. For the runs, we left our kiddos in their strollers and ran down the block and back a few times. The leaders kept an eye on the kids but the kids were busy being entertained by the other kids so it was perfect.


I've also decided that this summer will be the Summer of 5Ks. I'm going to try to run one 5K a month and work on my speed. I know I can run/walk for a long distance but I'm terribly slow. While the turtle eventually wins the race, I'd like to see how the rabbit feels going fast. I'm considering the Run Like A Mother as my first 5K on May 12th. My only concern is that it will be one week after my 1/2 Marathon but then again there is nothing like just jumping in with both feet.

Shoes #fmsphotoaday My shoes are ready for my 5 mile run tomorrow morning.

I'm also thinking about taking one Barre class a week through the summer. I really enjoy the classes but the $$ and the timing of childcare makes it hard to attend a lot of them. So those are my summer workout plans. What are yours? What other kinds of workouts am I missing? 

4 comments:

amanda said...

I was thinking about signing up for the See Jane Run 5k. It's on July 14th. What do you think? I'm not a mom and my own mom prefers Bikram yoga to running so that other run you mentioned doesn't really work for me.
http://www.seejanerun.com/t-See-Jane-Run-SEATTLE-Half-Marathon-and-5K-registration.aspx

Unknown said...

you go, Mama!! Love barre3 online, no childcare necessary and much cheaper!

Meg said...

I'm in for several 5Ks and I'd love to try a barre class. Let's DO THIS! ;)

Rebecca Mongrain said...

@Amanda - Oh that one sounds nice! Let's chat about it.

@Leigha - BRILLANT!

@Meg - YES!

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat