Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Weekend Fun and Adventures


Weekends are a lot of fun around here. We tend to spend them together as a family of three and have been taking the time to explore different parts of our city. Most of our activity selections are based on wearing Molly out while also having a good time ourselves.


This past weekend, we decided to take a city hike through the Washington Park Arboretum even though the tired was pulling us to stay home on the couch. Molly had a really rough weekend of sleep with Friday night being the worst. We pushed through the exhaustion and headed over to the park with a stop at The Essential Bakery for some breakfast sandwiches.


After filling our bellies, we parked by the Japanese Gardens and started walking. We brought the hiking backpack with us but surprisingly Molly walked for most of our jaunt. She spent a lot of time running ahead and then getting distracted by a rock or a pine cone. At one point, she had almost 10 pine cones jammed in various pockets and down her shirt. It was hilarious.


It was a nice overcast day which actually made for a great walk. The park is so beautiful and it was nice to explore it at a leisurely pace. I usually run through the park and it is almost always at the end of my run when I'm exhausted and just want to be done. This time though, I was able to see the true beauty of the park.


We then drove home so Molly could nap but the walk had knocked her out. Luckily she made the transfer from the car to the crib without a peep! I headed down to the basement to continue the "Great Yarn Sort" and Scott hung out upstairs.


When Molly woke up at 2 p.m., we were all starving and headed to Red Mill Burgers for lunch. The place was packed so we got our food to go and headed across the street to The Ballard Locks. We found a great grassy area and sat down to enjoy our food. There happened to be a free Caribbean Music concert going on which Molly loved! She grooved for quite some time before giving into her hunger and enjoying her food. She also stole Scott's milkshake and drank it all up. It might be time to get her a milkshake of her own but then again, stolen milkshakes taste better.


Sunday morning, after another rough night, Scott asked to sleep some more so I took Molly to Eltana Bagels and to the Ballard Farmer's Market. Don't tell Scott but the market was soooo much more fun without him. He just doesn't share my love for the market and grudgingly goes with me. Molly, on the other hand, LOVES the market. Her love might be influenced by all the doggies who frequent the market.


We came home shortly after 11 a.m. and started talking about lunch. I had a hankering for a burrito from El Camion so we decided to nosh there.



After filling Molly up, we headed back to the house so she could nap and we could weed. Our yard is in desperate need of some serious weeding but most of our weekend energy has been spent on the basement. Also weeding during the week with Molly in tow is a recipe for disaster! I wish she was more helpful on that front but I think we have a lot more years before that happens.


After getting a good hour of weeding in, we headed inside to just relax. I got the chicken together for our dinner and popped it in the oven. After about 20 minutes, I decided to check on the chicken when I noticed the oven was cold. It was dead! I had even used the oven that morning to roast my market bounty so I was upset. I wrapped the chicken back up and put it in the fridge. At this point, it was too late to use my favorite cooking appliance, the slow cooker so I made Scott come up with Plan B for dinner. He decided on Thai food which we had delivered. And now I'm working to have someone come out to figure out what is wrong with our oven. Luckily most meals this week were scheduled to be in the slow cooker but still, I want my oven to work!


Post a Comment
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat