Friday, April 24, 2015

NEEDED: Yard Advice

Untitled

Most of the time, I love our yard but every Spring I begin to hate it. Our yard requires A LOT of weeding which is fine if I had time to get out there and do it. Unfortunately the girls get bored after a few minutes and try to run into the road while giggling in the face of danger. I've been slowly working on re-doing the yard to reduce the need for weeding but I have one corner that I have not been able to come up with a solution for.

Untitled

We have a beautiful, wee Cherry Tree that is surrounded by irregular rocks. The previous owners planted heather around the tree and it was pretty but the grass and weeds quickly grew up between the plants. Last year, I covered the ground around the tree with cardboard and covered that with topsoil. When Spring arrived, the grass has taken over and covered the area beneath the tree. I spent 4 hours last weekend, pulling out grass and weeds and am now left with a blank canvas.

Untitled

The advice I need is what should I plant under the tree that either stops weeds/grass from growing in OR hides them well. I've been thinking about decorative grasses or a flowering plant or just flailing around. What would you plant?

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat