Friday, March 22, 2013
Crockpot Freezer Meal: Broccoli + Beef
I'm always on the hunt for ways to make dinner easier. I LOVE cooking but with the addition of a toddler to my life, I've had to devote less time to cooking and more time to playing. And at the same time, I still need to make healthy meals so my toddler can grow up big and strong.
I made broccoli and beef for dinner one night a few weeks ago and got to thinking. It seemed like the perfect meal to freeze and then cook in the crockpot. After a huge trip to Costco, I got to work on my idea. I gathered my freezer bags and ingredients before assembling the meal.
Then I threw the bags into the freezer for another day. Earlier this week, I took out one of the bags and let it defrost in the fridge. The next morning, I put my kitchen machines to work. As you can tell, they work hard.
After cooking everything up, I presented the dish to my taste tester. It was heartily approved! She requested seconds and thirds and didn't seem to mind that I made hers a bit more veggie heavy.
Crockpot Freezer Broccoli + Beef
1 lb beef, cut into chunks
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Vermouth (or dry white wine)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
4 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
2 cups fresh broccoli florets (alternatively you can use a bag of frozen broccoli)
2 Freezer Bags (one gallon and one quart)
1. Place the beef inside the gallon-sized freezer bag.
2. Add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the broccoli to the bag. Place the broccoli in the quart-sized bag unless you are using a bag of frozen broccoli, then just leave that in the freezer.
3. Place the broccoli bag inside the beef bag and freeze.
4. The day before cooking, take the bag out of the freezer and allow to defrost.
5. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours in your crock pot. One hour before serving, add the broccoli and cook on high for another hour or so. Stir to coat and serve over rice.