Molly and I have a secret routine after swim lessons. We head over to Taco Time for some sweet potato tots. We are a little sweet potato crazy around this house so this is a favorite treat! Also after swim lessons, we are hungry. Molly uses up all her energy reserves at the pool.
Sweet Potato Tater Tots
Ingredients2 pounds sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ginger
canola or vegetable oil for deep frying
- Wash the sweet potatoes and place them in a deep pot. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Cook them until tender but firm.
- Allow the potatoes to cool and then grate them with the skins on. The skins will slip off your potatoes during the grating process. Toss the big skin but don't worry about a few bits getting into your grated potato.
- Mix the grated potato with flour, salt, pepper, cinnamon and ginger. Mix well.
- Shape the potato mixture into tots by taking a rounded teaspoon and placing into your palm. Roll into a log and flatten the ends with your fingers.
- Fill a small pan with enough oil to submerge your tots. Heat over medium hot until very hot. The oil should bubble and sizzle when you place a tot in it. The tots should brown in about 5 minutes.
- Drain on a cooling rack set over a sheet pan.
- Enjoy with gusto!