Friday, September 13, 2013

Vegetarian Potato Black Bean Burritos

IMG_8531

This past week, Scott decided to stop eating meat. Now normally this would not be an issue with me at all. I'd revamp a few meals and go about my business. BUT I was just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes and a lot of vegetarian food tends to be carb heavy due to the great use of grains. Also I've been monthly meal planning so our September meals were planned and mostly shopped for. Additionally they are meat heavy due to the aforementioned GD and let's face it, I'm a carnivore. I love meat. Molly loves meat. We like meat! After twitching my eye at him, I got down to business.

I reviewed our meals for the coming week and figured out how to make them more vegetarian-friendly. I bumped up the veggies, added a few grains and cut the meat portions in half. Along the way, I asked Scott if he would like for me to make him a few veggie burritos for lunches. He likes to buy lunch but often gets so busy at work that he doesn't get to eat until 3 p.m. By bringing lunch, one has a tasty meal ready for them at their desk! Scott also remarked that these burritos were tasty and filling. 

IMG_8532

Vegetarian Potato Black Bean Burritos
by Rebecca Mongrain
Ingredients (3 burritos)
  • 2 potatoes, diced
  • 1/4 cup salsa verde
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
  • 2 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 2 burrito sized tortillas
Instructions
1. Saute the diced potatoes with salsa verde until the potatoes are soft and slightly crispy.
2. Steam the tortillas in the microwave by wrapping in plastic and microwaving for 30 seconds.
3. Start layering the burrito by first spreading the potato mixture on the tortillas, next add the black beans, cilantro and cheese.
4. Wrap your tortilla into a burrito shape and cover in cling wrap. These can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat, zap in the microwave for 1 minute or place in a toaster oven for 15 minutes for a nice crispy burrito.
Powered by Recipage

IMG_8533

IMG_8534

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat