Friday, October 18, 2013

Favorite Soup - Buffalo Chicken Soup

Untitled

I have a few favorite recipes, one that I make on a constant rotation and this is one of them. I discovered it on Pinterest and since I LOVE me some buffalo chicken wings, I decided to try it out. I orginally found the recipe on this great blog, Running to the Kitchen and I have to say her other recipes are great too but this is my favorite! 

Untitled

Since Scott went vegetarian, I haven't wanted to take this out of our dinner rotation so I figured out how to make his portion more veggie friendly. I sub in vegetable broth and garbanzo beans for his portion but keep mine all chicken! This is one recipe that I highly recommend prepping all the ingredients before you start cooking. Otherwise, it could end in disaster! 

Untitled


Buffalo Chicken Soup
Adapted from Running to the Kitchen
Serves 4

Ingredients

  • ½ cup uncooked orzo pasta
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled, and cut into half moons
  • 2 teaspoons ranch dressing seasoning mix 
  • 3 tablespoons cilantro, divided
  • 32 ounces chicken stock or vegetable stock if making this vegetarian
  • ⅔ cup to 1 cup Frank’s Buffalo Wing Sauce
  • 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
  • 4 ounces parmesan cheese, grated
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed or 1 can garbanzo beans if you are making this vegetarian
  • ¼ cup green onions, chopped and divided
  • ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream

Directions
  1. Cook orzo until about half way done. Drain and set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pan. Add the yellow onion, garlic and half of the green onions  and saute for 2-3 minutes until the onions are opaque and fragrant.
  3. Add carrots, ranch mix and 2 tablespoons cilantro. Stir to combine and cook until the carrots begin to soften.
  4. Add chicken (or vegetable) broth, buffalo sauce, cheddar, parmesan and shredded chicken (or garbanzo beans). Stir and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
  5. Add the orzo to the soup and bring to a boil. Cook until the orzo is al dente.
  6. Serve with sliced green onions, additional cilantro, sour cream and blue cheese crumbles.

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat