Friday, January 09, 2015

Paleo Whole30 Meatballs

meatball ingredients4

Earlier this week, I noticed that one of my dinner recipes looked extremely boring. We were going to have turkey meatballs for dinner and the directions were basically to wad ground turkey into a ball and cook them. Ummm yum?


meatballs

I looked in my fridge and noted that I had some ground turkey, ground chicken and ground beef. I then started flipping through my cookbook shelf to locate a few of my favorite meatball recipes. I knew I'd have to be creative since traditional meatballs call for breadcrumbs and bread is not allowed on Whole30. I started pulling together ideas, ingredients and a lot of spices. Then I asked Molly if she wanted to help me make dinner.


meatballmixing

I gathered my ingredients and started mixing. I washed Molly's hands and asked her if she wanted to mix the meatballs by hand. She stuck her hand in the bowl, quickly withdrew it and said, "NO! THANK YOU!" I finished mixing the meatballs and forming them into balls. I ended up tripling the recipe below and freezing the extra which means we have two more meals of delicious meatballs coming our way. 

meatballmeal

I served the meatballs with a homemade tomato sauce over a bed of roasted broccoli. I threw in a salad on the side since we are currently all about extra greens in this house. I'll be doing a Whole30 Week 1 Roundup post later today but I couldn't wait to share these meatballs with you. I love that they have some extra vegetables in them which is great for picky toddlers. Maggie and Molly gobbled these up and tried to eat mine! 


Paleo Whole30 Meatballs

by Rebecca Mongrain
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (15-20 meatballs)
  • 1/3 cup ground chicken
  • 1/3 cup ground turkey
  • 1/3 cup ground beef
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 Tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground, dried oregano
  • 2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely diced
  • 3/4 cup pureed sweet potato
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2. Using your hands, mix all the ingredients in a bowl, combine until everything is incorporated.
3. Roll the mixture into meatballs, using about 1 Tablespoon per meatball.
4. Place the meatballs on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake at 350F degrees for about 20-25 minutes.
To Freeze: Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet and freeze for approximately 30 minutes. Place the frozen meatballs in a ziploc bag and store in the freezer. When ready to eat, you can either defrost and cook as above or place them directly on your baking sheets and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Powered by Recipage

No comments:

 
Rebecca Mongrain's Blog © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat